Provided as a community service of Time Out. Inc.
HOW TO RESPOND WHEN AN ACTIVE SHOOTER IS IN YOUR VICINITY
Quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life. Customers and clients
are likely to follow the lead of employees and managers during an active shooting situation.
1. EVACUATE 2. HIDE OUT 3. TAKE ACTION
*Have an escape route * Hide in area out of *As a last resort when your
& plan in mind. the active shooter’s view. life is in immediate danger.
*Leave your belongings *Block entry to your hiding *Attempt to incapacitate the
behind. place & lock doors. Active shooter.
*Keep your hands visible. *Act with physical aggression
and throw items at the shooter.
CALL 911 WHEN SAFE TO DO SO
· Location of the active shooter
· Number of shooters if more than one
· Physical description of shooter
· Number & type of weapons if known
· Number & status of potential victims at location
· Immediately raise hands & spread fingers; keep visible at all times
· Avoid making quick movements towards officers
· Avoud pointing, yelling, screaming
· Do Not ask officers for help, ask questions or directions when evacuating, just proceed in the direction from which the officers are entering premises